Learning to square dance is an excellent way to socialize while getting some exercise and learning a fun style of movement. Square dancing comprises four pairs of dancers, or eight people, standing to face each other in the shape of a square. The caller will instruct the dancers to move in various directions which makes for interesting choreography. Throughout the dance (known as a ‘tip’) one may interact with all eight people in the square, until finally returning home with their original partner.
We are offering monthly opportunities for you to experience the fun and joy of square dancing. All take place at PS.3 (490 Hudson Street) at 6:30 – 7:15pm. Admission is FREE. No partner or special clothing needed. Come as you are, dressed comfortably.
Here are your ten opportunities to give square dancing a go!
- Tuesday January 10 with caller Howard Richman
- Thursday February 2 with caller Betsy Gotta
- Thursday March 2 with caller Betsy Gotta
- Thursday April 6 with caller Howard Richman
- Thursday May 4 with caller Howard Richman
- Thursday June 1 with caller Howard Richman
- Thursday September 7 with caller Betsy Gotta
- Thursday October 5 with caller Betsy Gotta
- Thursday November 2 with caller Howard Richman
- Tuesday December 5 with caller Howard Richman
We have established health and safety protocols to minimize the risk of spreading COVID-19 to dancers. You can read the full details here, but the must-know items are providing proof of full vaccination with booster, and a face covering must be worn while in the dance space.
Hope to see you soon!